The Stay At Home Wife...

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Smooth and Sweet Southern Iced Tea

Last week I was walking the dog and listening to food podcasts, as always. And Evan Kleinman of KCRW Good Food was interviewing Chef Martha Hall Foose about Southern sweet tea. It sounded really good since Finland sucks for finding good ice tea. I mean in Switzerland you could get it in bottles everywhere and also that powdered stuff from Migros. I always buy tens of those ice tea packets when I go there.


Anyway it's been really hot over here lately and I've really been craving for something refreshing and preferably non-alcoholic (for the time being). So this whole interview couldn't have come at a better time. I mean I've been wondering how to make ice tea without getting all the bitter taste that comes when simply letting tea go cold. I searched the internet and found out the secret ingredient and it is... BAKING SODA! Yes, it makes tea smooth and gives it a nice dark color! The recipe I used was one I got from AllRecipies called Smooth Sweet Tea. I decided to make it with mint tea bags and it turned out really good! I didn't think it was too sweet and the baking soda worked wonders. So yes I can say I'm a fan of Southern Iced Tea and will be making loads of this stuff for the rest of the summer!


No comments: