The Stay At Home Wife...

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Jokela School Shooting

My mum called me in the middle of the day and asked me if I'd been following the news. The whole question seemed some what ominous and scared me a bit. When I told her no she said that there had been a school shooting in Jokela, a place between Helsinki and Riihimäki. Luckily it was not in a school that was in my mothers area (she's a school psychologist specializing in migrants). However it did affect her office and pretty much all of Finland (first school shooting here... OK second, but this is MAJOR). There has been additional news casts on most channels and on the internet and the whole country will have a day of mourning tomorrow.

I just find things like this terrible. It makes me cry more than anything. I've been randomly crying all day. I feel terrible for the victims, 5 boys, 2 girls and the schools headmaster were killed. At the same time I feel so sorry for the boy who did it. He was only 18 and graduating this year! He was described as being normal and nice until something happened. On his blog he writes that he used to believe in things turning out alright until he had an awakening. I want to understand! People aren't monsters! Something happened to him to make him flip! You can't just blame him! You have to look at the whole picture! I feel terrible for the parents who's children were killed or injured but I cannot even begin to understand the pain that Auvinen's parents are in.

High school is hardcore. It's not easy. It wasn't easy for me. I understand. I would have understood. Why wasn't there anyone to understand for him?

No comments: