The Stay At Home Wife...

Friday, February 15, 2008

Proof of Finnish Alcoholism

Happy Valentines Day!

Like I said, I made cupcakes:


I was surprised how well they turned out in the end, considering how useless I am at the whole baking thing.

We were supposed to go out to dinner but that didn't work out. I didn't make reservations because in Finland you don't need to do that kind of stuff, EVER... unless of course it's Valentines Day and Penkkari päivä (kind of like the last day of school for those graduating) and Vanhojen Tanssit (formal dance + dinner for the 'new' oldest students of the school). Damit. So, my dreams of succulent pork ribs and a cold beer were smashed to smithereens. We went through every restaurant with a good money-quality ratio and they were all full. Plan B was to splurge on some quality ingredients and make a nice meal at home. By quality I mean the best meat I have had... ever. I swear that cow was probably slaughtered today. Mmm... and we saved money on what we would have payed had we gone out.

Mozzarella and sun dried ham salad with ciabatta.

TV dinner

Finally, I have proof that Finns drink a lot! That system I had for counting units is the one they use in the UK, Finns have a different system. See, for example, 75cl of 12% red wine is about 9 UK units but only 6 Finn units. Now, you're thinking that, yeah OK they have different units, how does that prove the Finnish tendency to drink in excess? Well, according to Drinkaware.co.uk the UK government recommends women drink less than 2-3 units per day which is 14-21 units per week. The risk levels in Finland for women are 5 Finn units per day and 16 units per week. OK I know my math sucks but can anyone else see something weird here?!? So, from now on I'm going to try and give you both units.

Units from the past week: 23.2 UK units, 15.5 Finnish units. So, if I'm in the UK my drinking is a problem but since I'm in Finland I'm all good!
So, lets have a celebratory drink...
Units today: 9.09 UK, 6.06 Finn

No comments: