The Stay At Home Wife...

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Juhannus

Last Friday was midsummer, which apparently doesn't mean much fun if you're outside the Nordic countries (unless you're part of some pagan cult). In Finland however it is just another excuse to get insanely wasted. I mean in a country where I bet over half the population has an alcohol problem alcohol sales in the state run Alko go up 70%. And then people light bonfires and drown themselves. Oh yeah and look for trouble in the form of drunken brawls.

My Juhannus options were: 1. civilized Juhannus spent with my parents grilling good food and having a few beers and wine 2. semi-civilized Juhannus spent trying to get my fiancé's parent drunk and maybe going to see the bonfire + local 'barn dance' +over 50's brawl 3. going to a club and getting wasted 4. doing the teenager thing and going to someones trashed out house to watch past out 14 year olds try to have drunken sex. We opted for number 4.

Samuli's grandfather promised we could use his cottage but in the end everyone was way too drunk to make it there. We ended up going to some girls trashed out house pressured by my sister-in-law (Sonja) and Samuli's cousin Elina (the one with the babies). So you see I was not intentionally searching to see wasted kids try to fondle each other. It just so happens that I had enough beer + wine in my system to feel like busting in on them to give them a lecture on cheating, unprotected sex and teenage drunkenness. End result was that despite my lecture they probably did something dirty when we left them to it. I also got some girls number because she thought I was nice... LOL. She was nice too in this "I've just met you but feels like we've been friends since 1st grade" sort of way.

After most of the people there either rolled home or went off to the local bar we (Samuli, Sonja and me) decided to slowly make our way back to Samuli's grandfather's cottage, which was EMPTY. No drunken teens no anyone apart from us. Since Sonja was hyped on some alcohol she was going on about how everyone has to come there to continue partying. Everyone turned out to be Lari (Samuli's brother) and his girlfriend and Elina's husband. So, what to do when you have a mostly related group of young adults? Play spin the bottle of course. With emphasis on no actual daring and more "who would you rather have sex with" questions.

At some point during the night I managed to slip on the wonky unstable front steps of the cottage (running back from the outhouse in the dark rain) and hurt my leg. Which bled all over my white stockings. Pfft... So, in the end it was a fairly interesting Juhannus. Next year Sonja will be 18 so it should be less teen. I hope.

No comments: