The Stay At Home Wife...

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Bella Roma, Squirrels and LOLing

I think I just LOLed in the bus. I was listening to this podcast (KCRW Good Food) and this guy was going on about cocktails and it was funny. I mean I was sitting there having my Chai Latte really getting into the show forgetting where I was and I think I LOLed... very loud, because this lady across from me was giving me this 'are-you-psycho'-esque look.

Anyhow, on Saturday we decided to have lunner or dinch (lunch/dinner) at Bella Roma (we had a 2for1 coupon, what a surprise). Bella Roma have two restaurants one in Siperia in the center and one in Hervanta. The one in Hervanta is kind of like one of those cheap pizza kebab places, but the one in Siperia is more of a sit down place. The coupon was valid in the one in the center, so that's naturally where we headed. I was pretty lazy and I hadn't called to reserved a table so we decided to pick a time when we assumed that there wouldn't be that many people.

We arrived at 16:55 on Saturday and the place was pretty packed, although it was difficult to figure out just how much space they had since they have a small flight of stairs going up to a half floor at the back. When the lady came to seat us she pointed to two of the worst possible tables. One was right next to where people waited before being seated and the other one was in front of the kitchen like many meters away from any other table (plus there was only one seat). As a third option she said we could go sit 'outside' since they do have some tables outside the restaurant (but inside Siperia). I opted for the table next to the people queuing up since I had looked at the tables outside and they seemed kind of full. Now I wouldn't have had a problem with the tables if these were the only ones available, I mean it was my fault for not reserving in advance, however after us there came many parties of twos who did NOT have a reservation who were seated up in the back and no one after us during the time we were there was offered the crummy seat next to the kitchen.

Notice how close the kitchen 'window' is (where the woman is) and the phone was where that bar starts (curvy brick thing).

Needless to say the atmosphere was not very nice. First of all we were right where the people waiting to be seated were standing. Soon we realized that we were right next to the phone too, with the woman taking reservations and yelling to the waiters to see if there was still seating. Oh yeah and the waiters going to and from the kitchen walked right past us too. So, basically it was noisy and hectic and I was pissed off that they had seated us there and given all the people who came after us better seats.

Steak and Potatoes

We decided to forget the starters and just use the coupon, eat and go. We had the BISTECCA PER AFFAMATO 23,70e an entrecĂ´te steak with potatoes, bacon beans and red wine sauce. The food came really quickly considering how full they were and the food was OK. I ordered my steak medium and it was almost cooked through so that was another disappointment and also the red wine sauce tasted like the one we had the week before from a package.

All in all the seating really ticked me off and it contributed not only to the atmosphere but also to the overall mood. The service after the seating however was quick and pleasant. The food, had it not been an offer would not have been worth 23.70e. My verdict is that call ahead and request a GOOD table and either stick to the pizza (which is apparently good value) or just stick to Speakeasy's orgasmic wings which is right across from Bella Roma.

Therapy (and no, not all those cups are ours, honest).

After that some what disappointing dinch I needed some therapy so we headed to have a Chai Latte at Wayne's Coffee (we have no Starbucks in Finland) which soothed my disappointed nerves.

Then on Sunday I finally got round to planting the flower bulbs I had ordered. I dug and planted out in the cold, windy rain for what seemed like hours, till they were all nicely in the ground. I even planned the beds according to color, size and time of flowering. So when I woke up this morning and peered out the window and was greeted with HOLES! Yes HOLES in my beautifully crafted flower beds I pretty much flipped. It's that same damn squirrel that I saw digging up these bulbs I planted earlier. OMG!!! Speaking of the little devil I just turned around and IT WAS RIGHT THERE EATING FROM THE BIRD FEEDER. Damn, it didn't even scare when I opened the porch door, I could have whacked it on the head. Oh well. At least it is eating the bird feed not my bulbs. I have to think of something ARGH it's back!! Ugh... ran away. Yes, so must think of something less painful that whacking it on the head. Still it did eat ALL my Puschkinias and some of my big tulips...

Why do so many annoying things happen at the same time? Well, at least I did LOL on the bus.

PS. Must remember to write the next post about crazy cult meeting we were conned into going to last night.

No comments: